Position Summary: John Ball Zoo is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, with a mission to inspire people to be active participants in the conservation of wildlife and our natural environment. We are seeking a Facilities Manager to join our team. Reporting to the Director of Facilities, Planning, and Sustainability, the Facilities Manager will be responsible for planning, organizing, and supervising the daily maintenance and repair of structural features, fixtures, furnishings, and operating systems of the zoo.
- Supervises daily facilities maintenance for public areas, administrative offices, and/or secure areas of buildings; walkways, parking areas, and other exterior features
- Assesses training requirements for maintenance staff and ensures that staff receive proper training in maintenance procedures for operating systems, horticultural installations, landscape forms and features, and structural features and fixtures; and safety and security procedures and protocols.
- Provides on-site supervision for contractual and other maintenance staff assigned to the facility.
- Serves as back up for Building and Grounds Manager including supervising staff and work responsibilities.
- Implements preventive maintenance schedules for structural features and fixtures, and mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic and other operating systems.
- Inspects, identifies and schedules repair or replacement of damaged, deteriorated or obsolete structural features, equipment, operating and security systems and/or components thereof, walkways, parking areas and access ways.
- Maintains an inventory control system for maintenance, replacement parts, tools and equipment; determines appropriate reorder points; and orders replacement stocks as necessary to maintain appropriate operating inventories.
- Inspects structural features, operating systems, exterior lighting systems, access ways and parking areas to ensure compliance with all codes, ordinances, rules, and regulations including, but not limited to constructions codes and ordinances, electrical and fire safety codes, health and sanitation codes, signage regulations, and accessibility requirements.
- Receives, logs, classifies, and monitors disposition of work orders and closes work orders upon completion of repair or maintenance work in question. Monitors disposition of work in progress and closes work orders upon completion of repair and maintenance work in question.
Experience and Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of progressive responsibility in construction/facilities management
- Ability to lead, motivate, and manage work teams to support organizational objectives and goals
- Thorough working knowledge of applied mechanics, hydraulics, pneumatics, electricity and electronics as well as the use, repair and maintenance of programmable logic controllers.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical problems and determine how to correct them, checking blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs, as necessary.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local construction, safety, fire, health and sanitation statutes, codes, and ordinances.
- Working knowledge of facilities operations, preventative maintenance procedures and security protocols.
- Knowledge of OSHA/MIOSHA occupational health and safety rules, regulations and requirements as well as accessibility and signage requirements of the ADA
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, engineering and architectural drawings and designs, mechanical drawings, engineering and architectural specifications, diagrams and other specifications.