John Ball Zoo is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, with a mission to inspire people to be active participants in the conservation of wildlife and our natural environment. We are seeking an energetic Marketing Manager to join our team.
In collaboration with the Chief Development Officer, the Marketing Manager designs, develops, and directs the implementation of all media relations, advertising, promotions, and public relations activities for the Zoo.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Communications & Public Relations
- Develop and implement a comprehensive, written plan for communications (public relations) that includes a public relations calendar and planned placements throughout the calendar year.
- Communication of all events, happenings, occurrences, and general information to all media outlets with the expectation of receiving media coverage as a result.
- Development and cultivation of media relationships.
- Maintain a comprehensive and up-to-date media list for purposes of dissemination of information to proper parties.
- Coordinate and facilitate interviews and appearances of Zoo staff with media.
- Develop and implement appropriate written policies for guiding the marketing of the Zoo.
- Serves as the first point of contact for media requests and information.
- Manages Social Media Coordinator to oversee social media and other online outlets for the Zoo.
- Support membership, education, promotion, group sales, fund and business development areas with effective marketing pieces.
- Planning and budgeting of all advertising dollars for general promotion of the Zoo, events, new builds, etc.
- Compose television and radio spots which convey the correct and consistent Zoo message.
- Negotiate with media outlets to get maximum value for dollars invested.
- Process and monitor all media schedules to ensure premium placement and fulfillment of contracts.
Partnerships / Sponsorship's
- Secure partners to enhance and support Zoo programs and events.
- Works with other Institutional Advancement Staff to secure corporate funds to support or create Zoo programs and events.
- Develop and maintain partnerships for the purpose of increasing attendance.
- Support in grant, manual, newsletter, and presentation writing.
Experience and Skills:
- Provides leadership, direction, and supervision of the Social Media Coordinator while maintaining strong working relationships with all functional areas of John Ball Zoo.
- Identifies and creates opportunities for individual growth and continued development of direct reports, coach and deliver performance appraisals and when necessary, administers disciplinary actions for subordinate staff.
- Ability to lead, motivate, and manage work teams to support organizational objectives and goals
- Experience in developing and executing strategic marketing, public relations, and communication plans.
- Strong relationship builder capable of interacting with media, donors, board members, and support staff.
- Strong multitasking skills, capable of handling several projects at one time.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Possess creativity, having the ability to come up with unusual or clever ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative marketing solutions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Thorough working knowledge of the principles and practices of presentation design and delivery for print, electronic and digital media.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field with at least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in marketing and public relations.