The Welcome Specialist is responsible for creating and maintaining an environment that is welcoming, safe and affirming through excellent customer service.
This person will own and manage the Welcome Center (front desk) greeting and engaging all members (youth), visitors, donors, volunteers and community partners. This role requires excellent customer service, administrative skills, environmental awareness, the ability to prioritize and multi-task in addition to advanced communication and conflict resolution skills.
This person must emulate HQ’s culture and philosophy of care and understand the critical impact of their role in creating a safe and affirming space throughout the entire building. This role will also be responsible for a variety of administrative functions that support the entire organization.
- Be able to articulate and demonstrate the culture, mission, and goals of HQ.
- Ensure that HQ’s environment is welcoming, supportive, nurturing and safe formembers, visitors, donors volunteers and community partners.
- Model and promote HQ’s philosophy of care, which includes Positive Youth Development, Trauma Informed Care and Harm Reduction.
- Quickly assess and respond to possible safety compromises and escalatingbehaviors.
- Train and supervise welcome center volunteers.
- Provide support for all front door activities, including but not limited to: answering the phone/checking voicemails, receiving/sorting/distributing the mail and accepting in-kind donations, managing traffic flow, signing in members, greeting and connecting all guests, and monitoring the exterior of the building.
- Administrative functions to include data entry, scanning/filing, facilities management, scheduling meetings and youth appointments, routing phone calls, administrative and other duties as assigned.
- Manage incoming and outgoing traffic during drop-in and open office hours, as scheduled.
- Show initiative in identifying, communicating and intervening in potential space, culture, capacity concerns.
- Model excellent communication skills within staff/volunteer team.
- Participate in regular personal development and team meetings.
Qualifications + Experience
- 5+ years professional + customer service experience
- Able to prioritize and multitask in fast-paced, chaotic environment
- Dedication to team work, professional development and overall excellence
- Exceptional communication skills with diverse audiences
- Ability to pass all background checks
- Must be able to perform moderate physical work and stand for 1+ hours at atime.
- Flexibility for non-traditional work hours (evenings)
- Support other initiatives, strategies and duties as assigned by Executive Director
- Basic understanding of challenges for those who have experienced housing crisis, trauma and/or mental health/substance use issues
- Bilingual: Spanish/English, preferred but not required
Equal Opportunity Employment
HQ is an equal opportunity employer who strongly desires to build a team that accurately represents the diversity of our community and target population. We embrace differences in race, color, nationality, religion/culture, gender identity/expression, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, military status, or ability.
We strongly desire to build a team that accurately represents the diversity of our target population.