American Rivers is the leading national organization dedicated to protecting and restoring our nation’s rivers. This position will help us advance “green stormwater infrastructure” solutions in our two partner cities.
The Economics and Policy Research Associate will be a two-year position, based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Associate will be the sole American Rivers staff in Grand Rapids, and will be housed in the offices of a partner organization. This position will be an active member of a national team of American Rivers’ staff and contract consultants, and will be expected to function both independently and under direction of the other team members.
- Contribute to economic analyses in support of the development of a stormwater credit trading program and optimized grant program. These analyses may include cost-benefit, valuation of environmental and community benefits, affordability of increased regulatory compliance, distribution of costs and benefits across various community groups, and others.
- Assist with the development of trading program parameters and policies required for implementation.
- Communicate analytical results and program design to partners, stakeholders, local officials, and other audiences.
- Collaborate with other team members to build and sustain relationships with key stakeholders and others in Grand Rapids, Cleveland and the Great Lakes region.
- Develop reports for internal and external audiences; deliver presentations and participate in workshop discussions; and represent American Rivers to elected officials, agency managers and staff.
- Represent American Rivers at technical meetings, press events and other public events as needed.
- A Bachelor’s degree and 1 year of relevant experience, or a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience and expertise in resource economics.
- Knowledge of water resources, and issues related to the development and operation of the infrastructure related to water and stormwater management.
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently, while also being part of a geographically dispersed, but active and collegial team.
- Familiarity with basic video and teleconferencing software.
- Ability to conduct occasional travel.
- Personal commitment to American Rivers’ mission.
- Background knowledge of the funding and financing of municipal operations and of private property development and redevelopment.
- An advanced degree in economics and/or relevant practical experience with economic, demographic, financial, and geospatial analytics.
- Preferably some experience working with water pollution control regulations or programs and a familiarity with private property or municipal development planning and construction.
American Rivers is a collaborative, solutions-oriented, and innovative conservation organization. We strive to deliver creative solutions to river protection and conservation challenges, often by marshaling partners to provide the appropriate expertise and resources needed to bring those solutions to bear. This Associate position is an opportunity to build professional expertise in resource economics through practical application of innovative concepts.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a 2 year full-time position. The position will be based at an office at the West Michigan Environmental Action Council, with some flexibility in regards to setting the workweek schedule within the convenience of WMEAC. Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time and full-time equivalent employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Economics and Policy Research Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls please.