The Holland Area Arts Council is actively searching for a new Executive Director. We are looking for a proven business professional who enjoys working with creative people and driving success which impacts an entire community. This role will allow you the chance to use your business knowledge while expanding your passion for the arts and community leadership. The Holland Area Arts Council is at an exciting point in its history with a skilled and well-rounded staff, a strong board of directors and respected programming. With our current Executive Director set to retire in June of 2018, we are looking to hire a strong, visionary leader to drive the next generation of success.
The Holland Area Arts Council is the preeminent advocate for arts education in the West Michigan Lakeshore communities. It is our mission to educate, engage and challenge the community through the Arts. We offer arts education courses for adults and children in a variety of mediums. The facility boasts three gallery spaces to showcase the artistic talents of our community. Onsite resources include: an interactive art space for children called – The Studio, and an active Ceramics Studio with education courses and open design studio time.
Responsibilities and Duties
Directly supervises staff and create an overall business environment that is results-oriented, supportive and responsive to the needs and expectations of a diverse constituency.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of The Holland Area Arts Council, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position
- Develop and review staff talents and needs
- Create a strong sense of community and support the staff in creative pursuits while building accountability through clear expectations and regular program and performance reviews
The Executive Director plays the lead role in fundraising initiatives and is the chief spokesperson for the organization. The Executive Director is expected to set development goals based on budget needs and meet those goals.
- Cultivate existing while developing new donor relationships
- Oversee the health of the membership program
- Pursue opportunities and supervise writing and submission of grants
- Develop strategy for annual fundraising events
- Manage two primary fundraisers each year (Spring & Fall)
- Identify and secure potential sponsorships
- Develop appropriate sponsorship materials
Work closely with the Board to facilitate Officer, Board, Committee functioning.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
- Oversee and update the strategic plan in conjunction with the the board
Advocate and articulate the mission of the Holland Area Arts Council and the importance of the arts in our region.
- Responsible for the enhancement of The Holland Area Arts Council’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations
- Serve on appropriate community boards and develop relationships with partner non-profits
Oversee Outreach and Regranting Programs – developing effective community collaborations
Support staff and provide leadership and vision in outreach and programmatic initiatives.
- Create a focused marketing strategy to attract and serve targeted audiences to grow awareness and attendance
- Work with Communications Manager to ensure well executed marketing
- Review programmatic initiatives with the respective staff members on a regular basis
- Oversee and report out on the finances of the education programs
- Review financial outcomes and attendance models of programming and help lead strategic direction based on numbers
- Work with Artistic Director to set the overall vision for the exhibition galleries
- Work to establish connections and resources for exhibits
Qualifications and Skills:
With a dynamic team of creatives to support and drive programming, the Executive Director needs to bring a strong business mindset with a deep appreciation for the arts, fundraising experience, managerial skills, financial management capabilities and a track record of advocating for and growing community support and brand awareness.
- Five or more years of leadership experience, nonprofit preferred but not necessary
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
- A deep appreciation for the Arts and creative thinking; in all forms
- Solid budget management skills, including: budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including: planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- A proven track record of success in fundraising and resource development
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and empower individuals
- Experience with community relations, marketing and public relations
- Strong written and oral communication skills
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary, paid time off, flexible work hours and environment, bonus opportunities, community leadership opportunities, professional development.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors.
The Holland Area Arts Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- leadership: 5 years