Position Description: Under general supervision, the Family Advocate provides comprehensive support and intervention to individuals accessing Safe Haven’s 24/7 free and confidential hotline. The Family Advocate provides assessments and case management to individuals seeking domestic abuse services. Additionally, the Family Advocate leads a psycho-educational support group.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers confidential emergency shelter for women and children fleeing domestic violence; support groups, individual supportive counseling, and advocacy for women and children who do not require shelter; and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
Summary of Duties
- Provide crisis intervention, assessment, advocacy, and case management to meet individuals’ needs calling the hotline
- Coordinate and provide primary oversight to Safe Haven’s 24/7 free and confidential hotline
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of internal data entry through ongoing monitoring of Safe Haven’s database; in collaboration with the Director of Client Services, provide ongoing training and feedback to staff utilizing Safe Haven’s database
- In collaboration with the nonresidential Family Advocate team, provide comprehensive assessment, case management, legal advocacy, and referral services to individuals seeking Safe Haven’s services
- Assist in the hotline and database training for staff, interns, and volunteers
- Generate monthly and quarterly client service reports for internal and external purposes
- Facilitate weekly psycho-education support group for nonresidential clients
- Maintain appropriate and complete documentation and files on all clients
- Supervise student interns as assigned
- Share in the staff on-call rotation
- Participate in weekly and monthly supervision, client services and all-staff meetings, as well as staff in-services and other meetings as assigned
- Strive to create a caring and safe environment marked by empowerment, empathy, understanding, and acceptance
- Observe professional confidentiality; protect the rights of clients and their families and observe the Safe Haven Ministries Code of Ethics at all times