The Foundations Communications Manager exists to provide communication strategy and support for the Foundations Department, including Grants Administration (60%), the DeVos Urban Leadership Initiative (DVULI) (40%), and occasionally other Foundation programs or initiatives.
The Communications Manager will be skilled at finding and writing stories, demonstrate strong editing skills, and be a team player capable of multitasking. Position reports to the Director, Foundation Administration, with a dotted line to the DVULI Director of Communications.
Culture and Work Environment
The Foundations and Philanthropy team at RDV Corporation has a culture of collaboration, compassion, and providing outstanding service to our foundation trustees, program participants, and communities where we serve.
As an employee of RDV Corporation, you will experience a workplace that is founded on the respect and well-being of others – our employees, their families, and the families that we serve. Located in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids, we are a team of highly competent professionals who are gracious and trustworthy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In cooperation with other Foundation team members, complete due diligence and summary write-ups for specified grant requests. This may include ensuring completeness of the information submitted, contacting representatives of requesting organizations to clarify request, or exploring the appropriateness of funding.
- Research and review grant proposals by gathering information, making site visits, and analyzing information; developing analyses of grant requests.
- Responsible for oversight and creation of Foundations Annual Reports.
Find and Generate Stories
- Identify and create stories relevant to the Foundations and DVULI in written and other formats (digital media, print media, photography, presentations, copywriting, audio, etc.).
- Develop annual communication strategy and media plan. Manage creative projects throughout the year, execute content development and publish to plan deadlines.
- Generate concise executive summary documents that accurately portray key points.
- Edit material for grammar, consistency, mechanics, clarity, context, and voice.
- Write stories and create materials that speak to and resonate with a range of audiences including individual foundation trustees, program participants, urban youth workers, and grant seekers.
- Coordinate and create written and graphic content for primary DVULI media platforms: weekly social media posts, monthly online e-blast, quarterly print newsletter, and website.
- Proofreading and editing of any of the above written content when submitted by contributing writers.
- Fully manage the above print and online projects from inception to final product.
- Contribute to occasional branding and creative elements of the DVULI communication team needs.
Website and Social Media
- Regularly identify, create and update content on websites and social media platforms.
- Support program staff and manage vendors responsible for website maintenance and design.
- Develop content for news media as needed.
- Occasionally support Community Initiatives and other Foundation programs with editing, writing and communication projects.
- Maintain archives of communications and media content.
- Other duties as assigned.
Elements of Success
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or a related field.
- At least five years of professional experience working in one of these fields.
- Demonstrated professional-level writing and editorial experience; journalism experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to identify newsworthy items and capture them in writing, natural curiosity.
- Demonstrated ability to connect with people emotionally on a professional and personal level, makes others feel comfortable and inspired.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Some experience with graphic layout, design, and photography preferred.
- Excellent proofreading skills and strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to work with multiple teams, and the ability to manage shifting work flow, clarify deadlines, and negotiate priorities.
- Should have experience or an understanding of communication in multi-cultural contexts.
- Proficiency in Word, Outlook, social media, and website content editing tools.
- Shares commitment to and is comfortable producing communications in a way that represents the Christian beliefs and principles of the various DeVos families and their Foundation initiatives.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of management in a highly professional and confidential corporate environment.
- Flexibility to occasionally attend evening events and travel out of town.
- Must be able to operate an automobile and be in possession of a valid driver’s license.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, visit our job board at http://jobs.rdvcorp.com/
Keywords: non-profit, not for profit, philanthropy, family foundations, community initiatives, faith, communications, marketing, grant writing, public relations, internal relations, people, mission, diversity, servant heart, inclusion