The Senior Director of Fund Development & Communications develops and oversees an effective comprehensive fund development program for contributed and in-kind resources for the council, ensuring that the goals for all fundraising activities are met. Ensures effective communication with all constituencies, both internal and external. Ensures the collection of meaningful data in the measurement of outcomes. Supports the advocacy and public policy strategies of the council. As a key leader of the council management team, the Senior Director of Fund Development & Communications works closely with the council’s Board of Directors, CEO, and leadership team in setting the organization’s strategic direction and translating the vision and corporate goals set by the council’s Board of Directors, into effective, operational strategies and actions. Responsible for providing leadership and direction to council staff and volunteers and helps establish priorities, launch new initiatives, align resources, adapt systems, and champion change
This position requires an ongoing process of cultivating and maintaining positive relationships between the council, board members, membership, and the community to increase public awareness and increase support of the Girl Scouts program. This position provides professional expertise and support to the council’s CEO and Board of Directors in developing goals and board-specific plans to meet the council’s financial goals and objectives. Accountable for developing and implementing strategies to achieve goals in keeping with established ethical standards, policies, and guidelines.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop annual Fund Development plan in collaboration with the CEO
- Design, implement, and manage an integrated, comprehensive, and balanced fund development program that ensures all annual and long-term fundraising goals are met.
- Identify potential sources and raise philanthropic funds from individuals, corporations, foundations, planned giving and major gifts; maintain relationships with current and past donors.
- Work in partnership with the CEO to ensure fund development resources, and to engage the board in donor stewardship and cultivation.
- Establish fund development policies, procedures, plans, goals and budgets; interpret and implement policies.
- Oversee the creation and development of a comprehensive council external marketing, public relations, and communications plan.
- Responsible for hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of operational staff in Fund Development and Marketing/Communications departments; organize and direct work toward the achievement of council objectives.
Qualifications and Skills
- Adherence to Girl Scouts of Michigan Shore to Shore policies and procedures.
- Registration as a member of Girl Scouts of the USA.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows, and internet technology.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Willingness to travel as job requires.
- Capability to provide own transportation and maintain operator license.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications, or related field required.
- Minimum 3-5 years of upper management experience in fund development with an excellent track record in major gifts, planned giving, and annual funding.
- Proven grant writing expertise.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar donor software program desired.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) preferred.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Strong planning, organization, and financial skills.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated but within a team environment.
- Ability to provide seamless integration and coordination of effort among departments, programs, and services.